National Disaster Relief Services centre was formed resulting from reformation of the cabinet is located at BMICH. Under the Gazette No. 1422/22, dated on 08th December 2005, the subject of Disaster consisting Preperation, Response and Recovery measures has been assigned to the Centre and also funds for these activities have been allocated to the Ministry, ensuring to handle pre and post disaster activities effectively.
The National Disaster Management Center of the Ministry of Disaster Management and Widespread Disaster Unit of the Department of Social Services are now functioning under the purview of the new Ministry. The functions assigned to the Ministry are given below for your information.
- Planning and Implementation Programmes to meet impact of Disasters
- Providing Response assistance to victims of Disasters
- Monitoring, Coordination and Evaluation the activities of disaster response and recovery with relevant authorities and parties concerned
- Implementation of Search and Rescue operations at Natural and Human made Disasters
- Implementation of Recovery Programmes to regain and re-establish live hood and economic activities disrupted by disasters
- Contribution to Sustainable Development Programmes of the affected areas through disaster response and recovery
- Conducting awareness programmes to making awareness Officials, General public and school children in relation to Hazards, Risk and Vulnerability of Disaster Management
- Planning and Implementation programmes of Risk Reduction
The following activities are planned to implement in 2006, achieving of Mahinda Chintana Programme.
- Examine and reorganizing existing Relief Assistance Programme to ensure for providing excellent services to disaster victims
- Setting up Disaster Resource Centers to each Districts
- Implementation of Disaster Mitigation Programmes to reduce Risk and Vulnerability in disaster prone areas eg: Construction of rain water harvesting
- Mapping flood prone areas in the Kalutara District
- Establishment of Disaster Response Teams at the school level
- Setting up Disaster Management Coordinating Committees to each Divisional Secretariats
- Preperation of Divisional Level Disaster Response and Action Plan to each Divisional Secretariats
- Developing a web site and Disaster Information System to Sri Lanka
- Implementing an Income Generating Programme among Tsunami and War victims in the Batticola District
Address:- Vidya Mawatha, Colombo 07. 0112-665258